September 25, 2013

Rantings of a bitter infertile

I moved out of ob/gyn to work in a surgery clinic because I couldn't handle constantly hearing about babies and pregnancies! I loved working in women's health and I find it a very interesting aspect of nursing, but since I'm infertile I can't handle it mentally and emotionally. However, in my first couple of days in general surgery one of the receptionist joked that she was infertile because she doesn't like kids. She isn't infertile...she's on birth control to prevent having children. That is completely different! Then today I'm sitting at my desk researching ways to further my education & career since my surgeon was in surgery and my co-worker who shares a space with me, but works in a different department is going off with one of the other ladies that works in her department about pregnancies and how her son's girlfriend is pregnant. I couldn't take it, I had to walk away. I'm very open with my co-workers and they all know that I'm infertile and going through various treatments/tortures to try to have children. Typically they are understanding and try not to have "those" conversations around me because they it's something that I struggle greatly with. However this particular co-worker believe the myth that if you stop trying or stop thinking about it, it will happen. It took a lot of restraint on my part to keep from slapping her when she said that.

No comments:

Post a Comment