July 15, 2014

34 weeks

I can't belive I've made it to 34 weeks! Our little lady will be here next month! This is all getting very overwhelming for me. I've had to stop avoiding thinking about labor and delivery,start planning on getting the hospital bag together, and it's really setting in now how drastically our lives are about to change. No more staying up late watching movies or a tv show marathon and sleeping in the next day. No more waiting until the last possible minute to get up and get ready for work. No more spur of the moment trips on the weekend that involve minimal to no planning. I know that it's all going to be worth it, but it's still overwhelming and scary. Last night I starting thinking about tummy time, introducing solid foods, reading to her, vaccines, doctors appointments, and such and wondering how I will know when the right time for everything is and such.

Another thing that is really weighing on me more and more now is the fact that our little lady is still breech. She stays on my right side, and in the mornings she is more transverse, but as the day goes on she keeps her head in my ribs. I can barely bend over while sitting now because of how she's positioned. My boss really wants me to do different stretches/exercises to try to make her flip, but honestly I'm scared. There is just one little cord that's floating around with her and keeping her alive. If I were to do something to try to make her flip and something happens to her cord she could be in serious trouble. Thanks to my trip to the hospital several weeks ago I know that she already has decels (and my understanding was that they are fairly regular), which is scary enough. I keep telling my boss that I'm not going to worry about it because she still has a month to flip and that my OB isn't worried about her being breech until 37 weeks. He said at that point we will do an ultrasound to check her position and then consider trying an external version. I was totally fine with that...until recently anyways. Upon further researching it I've found that is actually fairly risky because her cord could be wrapped around her. Goodness! Now I don't know what to do! I'm just hoping and praying that as we get closer she will turn on her own. However, how likely is that? I've read many places that sometimes there are birth defects or just the baby anatomy that don't allow her to flip (a large head for example). Then I start to think about what happens if she doesn't flip...c-section. Although my only real desire is to have a safe and healthy baby the thought of a c-section scares me. I trust my doctor and know that he would do a fine job if that is what's requited, but just having to have surgery is scary. What are her chances of having hip dysplasia? I've read that many breech babies do simply because of the position they were in while in the womb. When I worked in ortho several years ago we took care of a baby with hip dyplasia and while I know it's definitely not a permanent thing and know how the treatment goes it's still something that scares me. Is this what being a mom is all about? Constantly being filled with worry over your child?

No comments:

Post a Comment