December 26, 2010

Blessings

After the story of our washer event last night, I felt like I should let everyone in on the many profound and amazing blessings that our family has had in the last month. The first major blessing came from Sister Mitchell in Lubbock. She is the Relief Society President back in Lubbock and has always been so kind and loving towards me. She was one of the first people to talk to us on our first day in the 3rd ward after we got married almost two years ago. She remembered my name after meeting me just once and always seemed to genuinely care about me and my family. Many Sundays while Reed was gone she would have me come sit with her so that I wouldn't be sitting through sacrament alone and always made me feel loved. Anyways, when she found out what a hard time we were having with the Army and getting my travel arranged, she took it into her own hands. She donated her frequent flier miles with Alaskan Air to me and got me a plane ticket from Dallas to Fairbanks completely free! I will be forever thankful for that! Next I had the problem of getting to Dallas for my flight. My loving dad told me that he wanted to drive me to Dallas. He donated his day off and gas and such to make sure that I got to Dallas for my flight. The next big blessing that we have had, although it was a blessing is disguise, is our apartment that we were in for the first three weeks. I say it was in disguise because it was so expensive and far away from base which really sucked down our resources. However, it was a blessing because it was right next to an automotive repair shop. One thing that we have not had a shortage of here in Alaska is car problems, which is why living next to the shop was a true blessing. We could drop it off at the shop, walk home, and then walk back when they finally fixed it. After the car didn't start one morning we noticed that the plug was broken. So, I took Reed to work and then headed to a place to get it re-winterized. That same afternoon it didn't start again and we ended up having to get new batteries. Great luck right? Anyways about two or three days later while Reed was driving home from work he heard a strange clicking and when he stopped to get gas and looked at what it was noticed that somehow the fan belt was all to pieces! He had no choice but to finish driving home, even with the risk of the fan cutting something in the engine and causing him to lose control of the car. Well, he made it home and the truck actually died right in front of the shop! What a blessing! Here in Alaska, especially when it is around -40 like it was that day, if you lose control driving down the road it is very easy for you to be killed! After spending the next day in the shop we finally got the truck back. Well, that very afternoon we noticed a new coolant leak. (They had also had to put in a new water pump because the people that winterized it had only rated the coolant to -20 and it was frozen/gelled and broke the water pump) Since that was on a Saturday we took the truck to them, but they said to bring it back Monday morning. Another important thing to note at this point is that there was a small brake leak that now was really bad. So we spent the weekend having to continuously add coolant and brake fluid to the car. Finally Monday morning rolled around. When we got in the car to take Reed to work, he noticed that the brakes felt odd, so he told me to allow extra room to stop and to go straight home and not stop anywhere or any reason. Well, I did that and when I dropped it off at the shop I asked them to take a look at the brakes. Well, when it was done the next day, the guy told Reed that when they moved the truck into the shop the front brakes blew and he nearly drove it off the lift! What a blessing! The brakes were so close to blowing while I was driving! We were saved again! Now the truck is fixed and we have moved out of our apartment. We have a beautiful house that's really close to Reed's work. We still have no official news on a job for me. I have interviewed at two places and last week one called me back. They told me that they had two positions open that I qualify for and asked which one I would prefer. They told me that they wanted to make me an offer, but I have not heard back from them. I didn't really think that I would hear back from them last week because of the holidays and such, so I'm really hoping to hear from them this week. I really miss working! Anyways, I guess that is all that I have for now! I hope everyone has a great day

No comments:

Post a Comment